Friday, May 30, 2008

Salad Nicoise

Romaine lettuce (or other favorite)
canned tuna fish (I use the good-solid white)
1/2 to 1 red onion
very small red bliss potatoes
fresh green beans
tomatos
good Italian or vinaigrette dressing - I like Paul Newman's Balsamic Vinaigrette
blace olives if you like

Ok, I have been making this so long that I don't have amounts, but I'm sure there are many variations. Use your best judgement. I snap the beans and cook them in boiling, salted water with the potatoes. Don't overcook. I transfer the cooked beans and potatoes to a bowl and add onion thinly sliced into rings, tomatoes, tuna fish, dressing, salt, pepper and chopped fresh herbs from my garden when available. Refrigerate to cool. Serve on a bed of lettuce. Alternatively, I line up the ingredients on a platter, keeping each item separate and let people dress their own salad. Makes for a nice presentation that way. Serve with a good bread for a light summer meal.

No comments: