Sunday, December 13, 2009

Slow Cooker Indian Curry

This recipe is from Make it Fast, Cook it Slow by Stephanie O'Dea. This book is great because all the recipes are online at Stephanie's Web site, http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/. So if you check it out from the library, you can just write down the recipes you want to try and then go online to refresh your memory. This recipe was actually given to Stephanie by Rachael Ray, and then I modified it myself to fit my needs.

Ingredients:
4-6 frozen chicken breasts (Stephanie's recipe uses thighs)
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1-inc piece fresh ginger (I eliminated)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 14-oz can coconut milk
1/2 tsp Tabasco (I eliminated, but might use next time)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 can garbanzo beans (I eliminated, not a big bean person)
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 an eggplant, chopped (I eliminated)
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped

Stephanie's recipe calls for a 6-quart slow cooker. I'm actually not sure what size mine is, but I think it's smaller than that. Combine spices, ginger, garlic, coconut milk, Tabasco sauce, and tomato paste in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add the chicken and make sure it's entirely coated with sauce. Pour in the beans, if using, then add the vegetables. Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours or high for 4 to 6. Serve with rice. I found mine was done in about 4 hours - cooked it for a total of 4 1/2 while waiting for the rice to cook. This is a very richly flavored but not spicy dish. My husband wanted it to be spicier, so next time I might add the Tabasco and maybe some more cumin--but I enjoyed it just as it was. Makes a lot of leftovers, too. We should be enjoying this for a few more days.

1 comment:

Beth Hatch said...

That sounds delicious! I am definitely going to try that one!